This issue, we take on a very muddy 2022 Cut-Price Challenge in two of the most affordable Land Rovers available to buy: a Freelander 1 and a Discovery 3. Can they take it, how stuck can we get them, and how did we safely recover them? We think you’ll find it as fun and instructive to read as it was for us to actually do!
In addition to the lovely Series I resto above, our star build is a mighty Range Rover L322, modified for off-road use (including a 3in suspension lift). It’s an impressive feat of creativity and ingenuity, ready for anything.
Also in the March 2022 issue of Land Rover Owner magazine…
• Jessica Jackson (aka @LandRoverGirl) and Laurens der Smet (aka @PandaTheLandy) take on a £250 Land Rover Weekend
• John Pearson unearths historic Land Rovers in Australia’s National Military Vehicle Museum
• Theo Ford-Sagers undertakes an epic overland voyage around Greece in a Discovery 1
• Restoration story of an immaculate lights-behind-the-grille Series I 80in from 1948
• How to replace a Freelander 2’s rear wheel bearing – a step-by-step guide
• Columns from writers Sam Watson, Peter Galilee and Jerry Thurston
• The LRO Trail around the UK continues with greenlanes in Surrey (part 12)
• Readers’ letters
• Latest products to help you get the most out of Land Lover life
• Product reviews, including Garmin Overlander satnav and Smith & Allan classic engine oil.
• Dates for your diary: upcoming events, shows, tours and meets
• Latest news and reports from Land Rover club happenings
• James Taylor’s Roverphile unearths 1970s marketing tactics, and Carmichael PT/6 conversions
• Reader shares his story of life with a hard-working 2020 Defender 110 First Edition
• Our stories, from importing a Series I to the UK from Africa, to practicing driving in sand, to a Series 2 Club outing
• How to fit a swing-away wheel carrier and winch bumper to a Defender
• Defender dash binnacle removal and replacement – how you can do it at home
• Essentials: top tips for looking after your ACE system
• Workshop editor Martin writes about ‘unmodifying’, and replacing a 300Tdi Disco with a Freelander 2 in his new column, Tech that!
• Dozens of Land Rovers for sale
• Editor Neil ponders the bizarre design of the Swedish Grip Karosse Series I, in Watty’s World
… and loads more!