This is my Series III project, an 88-inch that I bought on eBay. It’s in need of a full rebuild, which I’m just about to start.
At first I wanted a Defender, but as it happens I’m pleased I couldn’t afford one. I’d just be tempted to modify it and I have a lot more fun with this, just trundling around the garden.
When I went to collect it I’d never driven a Land Rover before, and I was a bit shocked – it was like steering a boat! At the moment I just use it for garden work, mostly dragging trees, and I haven’t found anything it won’t pull.
It’s leaking oil from everywhere. I used to keep it in the middle of the garden but had to move it because it started killing the grass. I need to do some work on the head as well – I think the valve stem oil seals need replacing as it’s smoking quite badly.
The chassis is completely full of holes and the bulkhead is largely filler. One day I poked a finger in the rear cross member and some nesting birds fell out.
However, I’ve bought a galvanised chassis and a reconditioned bulkhead and as soon as Dad and I finish building our workshop I’m going to start the rebuild.
I have considered a 2.25-litre petrol or a Rover V8 conversion, but the fuel costs would probably stop me and I’d rather keep it original. I’ve set myself the target of getting it ready for the LRO’s Peterborough show…
Published in the March 2014 issue of Land Rover Owner. Download a digital issue, or order a back issue by calling 01858 438884.
See your vehicle in the next issue of LRO, email firstname.lastname@example.org