We’ve had Land Rovers for years, so when I turned 21 it was time I bought my own. This appeared to be a decent little project, and perfect for carrying my fishing gear and for off-roading.
My dad has loads of experience building and repairing Land Rovers, so he’s showing me how to fix them and I’m learning all the time. The car was in a poor condition, so I took it back to its shell, then rubbed down all the internal and external panels down, plus the chassis.
For the exterior, I wanted something a bit different. I found UPOL Raptor, a durable 2K polyurethane coating. I used a tintable kit, which meant I could paint it Raptor Green. We then rubbed all the micro blisters out of the bodywork, before my dad finally painted it. We’re really happy with the outcome.
I wanted it to be reliable, so I treated it to a top-end engine rebuild, new clutch and flywheel, new brakes, new radiator and a full service. Then I added other modifications to improve my car for off-roading, including a winch bumper, Warrior winch, bucket seats, Terrafirma two-inch lift kit, and new 238/85 mud-terrain tyres. I’m also making my own rock sliders and fitting them soon, if everything goes to plan.
My Discovery is now great for everyday use and off-roading, and all built within a modest budget,
When I finally got it on the road after many endless nights working on it, I realised how much spare time I now had on my hands! So I ended up buying a Defender 110 with my dad – another father-and-son project to add to our collection.
Next will be a Series III because that was the car I learned to drive in, so restoring one will bring back some good memories.
Published in the October 2015 issue of Land Rover Owner. Download a digital issue, or order a back issue by calling 01858 438884. Please note, we only hold stocks of the the last three back issues.
See your vehicle in the next issue of LRO, email firstname.lastname@example.org