I've recently finished rebuilding my Series III 109in diesel. Not long after I’d completed it, my girlfriend Breanna Muller visited me from her home in the US – and one of the treats I had in store for her was taking the old Land Rover on its first adventure.
We drove from southern Angola to Windhoek in Namibia, a 1250-mile round trip. The Land Rover behaved impeccably, and Breanna and I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. When she got home to the States, she sent me the following message:
Things that happen when you date a Land Rover guy
1) You learn to love the smells of diesel and car grease, because that’s what he smells like most of the time.
2) You find yourself also talking to, and about, the car using ‘her’ given name.
3) It takes the first three months of your relationship before he deems that you now know how to shut the doors correctly.
4) You’re treated exceptionally well – because what he first learned with the car, he naturally applies to you too (ie the patience of Job regarding the complexities of female behaviour).
5) You never worry about getting stuck or stranded somewhere. Between low-range four-wheel drive and your man’s ingenuity, any journey
6) Due to the lack of power steering, no other man has forearms that compare.
7) The car gets more public recognition in one outing than you ever have in your life.
8) You stop expecting to get anywhere very quickly.
9) You develop a ‘Land Rover voice’ about four times louder than your normal voice.
10) You never have to worry about extra expenses around the house, because he can fix anything and everything.
11) Garage expenses, however, never end.
12) He will slowly but surely win you over to the Land Rover way – a lifestyle of adventure – and general sense of snobbery towards any other vehicle.
As you can see, we Land Rover men have been rumbled – there’s nowhere to hide, guys.
This owner review appeared in the February 2016 issue of LRO. Current and Back issues are available to download on digital devices here. Please note, we only hold stocks of the the last three back issues.